I use coconut oil a lot these days.
I read somewhere once where coconut oil is better than olive oil when roasting or sauteing, and I haven’t looked back. The smell of hot coconut oil – very, very hard to beat. Butter rivals – 100%.
But there’s nothing like olive oil in a salad. I won’t switch it up there. I’ve been very into Sprouts brand extra virgin olive oil. The taste is AMAZING! I actually bought some kale yesterday mainly because I’m craving a big olive oil and lemon salad. Heavy on the parmesan.
This wild rice & shrimp salad has that amazing olive oil. I made a quick vinaigrette (<— saaa hard to spell) with balsamic vinegar and mustard to go along with it. Added some caramelized onions and tomatoes (tha bomb – having a tomato moment right now) and some pumpkin seeds/pepitas. I had some tuscan kale lying around and chopped that finely to add as well.
BUT let me note – this is not a kale salad. There’s just kale in a salad that starts largely other ingredients.
Went on vacation last week/this weekend to the beach. Great time! I came back to a broken freezer though.
I’m majorly crossing my fingers that it was just open a bit slightly while I was gone and that it’s not broken. I cleaned it out this am and turned up the temp a bit so… please don’t be broken.
Also don’t have anything frozen for a smoothie this am.
I love this house and owning a home in general. EXCEPT when thangs break. Because I don’t. Have. A. Clue. about anything.
Plumbing – do not get me started. Every time the toilet even flushes maybe a bit strangely I get anxiety.
I won’t talk about toilets anymore – try this wild rice & shrimp salad with caramelized onions & tomatoes!
- 1 cup wild rice (dry), cooked according to package directions
- 8-10 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbs coconut oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 6-7 baby heirloom tomatoes (or grape or cherry), halved/quartered
- 1/4 cup pepitas/pumpikn seeds
- 2-3 large stalks tuscan kale, ribs removed and chopped finely
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp whole grain or dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook wild rice according to package directions in water and a bit of salt.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbs coconut oil. Add onions and a pinch of salt & pepper. Lower heat to medium-low or low. Cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring often. Add tomatoes to the onions and continue to cook 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the other tablespoon of coconut oil. Sprinkle shrimp with salt & pepper. Add shrimp to the skillet and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add kale, rice, onion & tomato mixture, shrimp and pumpkin seeds.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over salad and toss well. I served hot but it's great cold the next day.