I never make homemade granola. In fact, I rarely eat granola.
I always feel like it’s not worth everything in it – so many granolas are full of sugar and oil and not that good in my opinion.
NOT this gluten free turmeric & ginger granola with coconut butter & goji berries. I wanted to make a granola that was gluten free, full of nuts, and not very sweet. I wouldn’t call this savory, but it’s not sweet AT ALL.
It has tons of turmeric which we know is good for us from the ice cream post. Then I added ginger, cinnamon, a bit of coconut oil, flaxseed “egg”, and a tiny bit of honey.
My add-ins of choice were pecans, walnuts and goji berries. You can use anything you want though. That’s the beauty of granola – make it your own.
Any dried fruit would be good in here. Different types of nuts. Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin. I also made a second batch of this and added hemp and chia seeds. SO good.
But don’t skimp on the coconut butter. I love coconut butter except when you first buy it. Coconut butter stays solid. You have to warm it in order to stir it. The good thing about it is it kind of hardens on the granola. I put extra on each serving.
I serve this with a bit of almond or coconut milk. You could use yogurt or whatever you like.
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2 cups dried unsweetened coconut chips (flakes are fine as well)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbs flaxseed meals + 5 tbs water (or 2 egg whites)
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp honey - or more to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup goji berries or any mix-ins desired
- 2 tbs coconut butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- To make the flax eggs, add the flax and water to a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Mix the oats, coconut, pecans, and walnuts in a large bowl. In a small sauce pan over low heat, melt the coconut oil and honey. Once melted, add the spices. Take off the heat and add the vanilla. Pour the mixture onto the oats. Add the flax eggs and stir well.
- Pour onto a baking sheet either sprayed lightly with coconut oil spray or lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly. Bake for 40 minutes. Check every ten minutes to ensure not burning.
- Take out and let cool completely. Add goji-berries and drizzle coconut butter if desired.