LOVE being home on the weekends. Sundays are my day to really get ready for the week.
I have a system – church, yoga, laundry, food prep. Sometimes food prep is Saturday, sometimes Monday, but typically always church, yoga and laundry occur on Sundays.
For food prep lately, I like to make a big batch of beans and rice for salads in addition to my grocery shopping to stock up on fresh veggies and lean meat.
Dried beans are far superior to canned, and they are super easy if you have the time. Boil water, turn it down, and cover for about 90 minutes. I make a bit batch and use for salads, homemade hummus and even veggie burgers (will post both recipes soon).
I’ve done mostly chickpeas, but last week I saw great northern beans at the grocery store and felt like a big salad with lots of veggies and beans.
This salad has everything I want…
Spinach for the bed – so good for you
Sun-dried tomatoes – want them in everything
Herbs – mint, thyme, rosemary
A mustard-y dressing
AND white beans – cooked perfectly
I highly suggest you try. I ate on this all week, and it never got old.
- 1 cup dried white beans or great northern beans or 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mini sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbs mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1-2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbs white balsamic vinegar (I used fig white balsamic vinegar – raspberry or plain would be great)
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbs capers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Fill a large stock pot with the beans, rosemary and thyme and water. Make sure beans are covered with water at least by 2 inches or so. Bring water to a boil. Once boiling, turn down heat to low, cover the pot and let beans cook for about 1 hour to 1 hour and a half, until done. Alternatively, used 2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add vegetables, pumpkin seeds and beans to a large salad bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl and add to salad. Serve hot or cold.