Hope everyone had a good weekend!
It’s been a busy couple of weeks at work so I haven’t posted much lately. BACK!
I make some sort of rice bowl with vegetables at least once a week. I use whatever I have on hand. The basics:
Vegetables: depends on the season. For fall I love – any squash, roasted carrots, brussels, parnsips, sauteed greens
Protein: chicken, eggs, nuts
I also often add a drizzle or sauce of some kind.
I could eat this ALL day.
While I don’t have a favorite squash, delicata squash is often most used because you can eat the skin. That means no peeling. Love a butternut squash, but I hate peeling and dicing.
For this quick delicata squash and fall vegetable wild rice bowl – you layer wild rice. I added riced broccoli and cauliflower from Trader Joe’s. Roast brussels. For the delicata squash, I caramelized a bit on the stovetop vs. roasting. It’s more labor intensive, but I love the char.
Top with pumpkin seeds and an easy drizzle made of hummus and almond butter!
- 8 oz. wild rice (cooked according to directions in low sodium broth or water)
- 2 cups raw riced cauliflower or broccoli (homemade or purchased)
- 2 delicata squash, chopped
- 1 cup brussels, halved and bottoms removed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil, separate
- 1 tbs plain hummus
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon and smoked paprika
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-3 tbs water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Make rice on stovetop according to directions - I make with broth. At the end, stir in rice cauliflower or broccoli (I used both) and let steam for another 10 minutes with the stovetop off. Fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, toss brussels in 1 tbs of the coconut oil, and half of the smoked paprika and cinnamon (1/4 tsp each). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until done, about 30-40 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbs coconut oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Toss squash in salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and smoked paprika and chili powder. Once oil is hot, sear on each side about 4-5 minutes, until cooked all the way through.
- Mix together all sauce ingredients. Add more water 1 tbs at a time to thin out if desired.
- Layer rice, vegetables, pumpkin seeds and sauce.